Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Black Acre Brewing Company






The Black Acre Brewing Company
5632 East Washington
Indianapolis, in.
317.207.6266

People... you know how I love Irvington and you know how I love microcrafted beer.  Guess what? Irvington has its own brand new brewery bar.  The Black Acre has been open for a couple of months but I just never had the opportunity to make it in there.  There was paper covering the windows for several months while it was under construction and it looked deserted for a while.  I assumed it was some beer hound's dream that died before it got off the ground. Not so.

The Tammy and I were blowing some four dollar bills on gas this past Saturday afternoon, trying to think of some place that we hadn't been to for a light dinner.  We found ourselves passing through Irvington and decided to stop by and see if the joint was open. We entered through the back door and shazzam!  This place is cool!  Charcoal stained concrete floors, re-purposed wood plank ceilings and pumpkin patch painted walls.

Tammy loved the ladies room. I loved the standing bar. Tammy loved the clientele.  I loved the beer selection. We both loved the fact that there were zero TV's in the place.  What a refreshing change of pace from the sports/Foxnews/CMT belching joints that try to overload your senses so you don't notice the stale beer and deep fryer that was left on all night.

This is the view from a bar stool.  I like a place that changes up what they have on tap often enough that they announce their line-up in chalk.  The Tammy actually ordered a red ale.  I had a brown. The empty taps are reserved for when they bring their own brews on line.  It was our good fortune that our visit coincided with the introduction of their first house brewed beers... Green Tea Pale Ale and Robust Porter.  When our server, Mike, asked us what we thought of them I wanted to be able to break out into a steady stream of terms like IBU, balling degrees and attentuation.  All I could really say was "damn fine." And they were.

Not to mention the food, but I had a 2 lb.grilled cheese and brewery fries.  There was a sauce with the fries that was most likely a garlic paste in mayo.  Tammy liked it well enough to dip her sandwich in it.  They also offer a panini and cheese plate.  Go for the beer.  The food is just a bonus.  I'm awarding the BAB four out of five tee shirts.  Did I ever mention that this was The Tammy's favorite hymn when she was little?














No comments:

Post a Comment